Al Turath At a Glance!
- Al Turath is the arabic word for "Heritage".
- It primarly engages in the sale of Oud wood chips,and pure oil fragrances, but our focus is mainly on Oud oil.
- Oud chips (photo attached, no.1) are fragrant dark resinous wood used in incense and perfume. It is formed in the heartwood of aquilaria trees when they become infected with a type of mould. Prior to infection, the heartwood is odourless, relatively light and pale coloured; however, as the infection progresses, the tree produces a dark aromatic resin, called "oud", in response to the attack, which results in a very dense, dark, resin embedded heartwood. The resin embedded wood is valued in many cultures particularly in the middle east for its distinctive fragrance, and thus is used for incense and perfumes.
- On the other hand, Oud oil is the refined product of oud chips, where the chips are fermented and distilled to get the oil,, see photo no.2
- Oud wood is traditionally sold by weight (grams), while oud oil is sold by volume (millilitres).
- The packaging design outline that we are looking for would be a box made of wood or MDF structure, veneered in hi-gloss coated dark wood. For example, see photos no.4, 5, 6 & 7.
- This box will contain two (2) things namely oud container and oud oil bottle. The container will be similar to "Almas Caviar metal container with a "belt" around it or a ribbon. see photos no.4,8,9&10.
- Example of a box with two sections two hold wood chips and a bottle of oud oil is attached in photo no.17.
- Whilst, the oil bottle will be made of glass with the option to be made of crystal. The traditional oud oil bottle (inner) measurements to hold 1 tola (or 12ml) is roughly 3.5cm high by 1.5cm diameter. However, we need bottle that will look bigger and similar to the size of oud metal container,, see example photo no.18. I find liquor bottle designs very creative and unique. Basic examples of our ideas are in photos no.11,12,13,14,15 & 16.