great to work with, provided great ideas / suggestions and made changes super quick!
How Filip Lowette started their book cover journey
Who are you known as?
What industry do you think your business is most related to?
Business & Consulting
Tell us a bit about who you are and the people you reach
We consult management teams and boards of directors with issues that stay under the table
What inspires you and how do you envision the design for your business?
The book is about a management team where two key members doubt wether they should be part of it.
Translation of the Dutch title is: One leg inside, one leg outside.
I am looking for an interesting visual that conveys the doubt about belonging and committing. The two main characters in the book doubt about 'do I belong here?', they also doubt about committing: shall I be part of this or not? They do a lot of thinking about yes and no and forget to simply feel and sense what is right. So it would be great if that contrast between lots of cognition/thinking/pondering and too little feeling/go with the internal flow could somehow be integrated in the visual.
Just an idea from my own experience on the subject of doubt: during the doubt phase the world is rather small, contracted, dark, inward focused; once the doubt is over there is openness again, clarity, light, space and flowing breath.
I don't have many visual ideas this time, so I count on you.
- I'm not sure actual legs will do the job better than an abstract design.
- I don't have color preferences. Look at my other book designs on http://www.boekboek.com/lowette.php .
Also, take a look at my two websites for current color schemes I use: http://www.lowette.be and http://www.claridad.be.
It would be fun if the colors you use would not be too different from the ones you will find there (f.ex. I would not use harsh red, purple or pink)
In general, I prefer simple (be close to the sense of the title) and clear (unclogged, uncomplicated) visuals.
Enjoy diving into the ambiguity and doubt of being in or out! Looking forward to your creative proposals!
- The book is in Dutch; should you wish to read some of the copy, please let me know;
- on http://www.boekboek.com/lowette.php you will see two previous 99design winners: Duel at the Top and Inteamacy. They both pleased me because they convey so well the message of their respective title.
- Front cover/spine/back cover text is in a separate document
- The final product should be
a) a full cover pdf to be used for printing at Lulu.com and
b) a front cover pdf for flyer and web uses. You will find two examples of (a) attached. I presume you will be able to deduce exact dimensions from that. If not, let me know.